Summer Cancellation Update

May 23, 2020

Dear Friends and Family of Camp Sancta Maria,

When Monsignor Maurice Chawke founded Camp Sancta Maria in 1933, I doubt he fully knew the impact CSM would have on so many people. Over the last 87 years, countless campers have come through the front gates only to leave a week or two later having grown stronger in their faith, closer to Christ, and with a special place in their heart for CSM. Camp has truly become home for so many campers and their families. I have witnessed countless campers and counselors in tears as they wave goodbye at the end of a session or the summer. We all look forward to returning to CSM, our home away from home each year.

As we are well aware, this year has been unlike any other. Nothing is quite like we are used to and we are still living in such uncertain times. One thing we know for certain is that our Blessed Mother is watching over Camp. Each year we entrust Camp to Mary and ask for her protection and care. We have been asking her intercession in a special way as we navigate and discern what lies in store for this summer. 

We strive to provide a safe, fun, and faith filled experience each summer. The health and safety of our campers and staff is our top priority. With so much uncertainty surrounding Covid-19, if or when camps will be able to operate, and the new guidelines from the CDC for camps, we cannot in confidence say that we will be able to achieve those standards this year. So, it is with a heavy heart and tears in my eyes that I have to announce the cancellation of all camp sessions for the summer of 2020.

We, like you, cannot imagine a summer without new friendships, bonfires, Mass, Capture the Flag, and Baked Alaska. We know this is not the news any of us were hoping to hear, but we continue to entrust Camp to the Blessed Mother and trust her Son Jesus to see us through this quiet summer here at Camp.  We look forward to the summer of 2021 when we can reunite at CSM our home away from home!

For those who have already registered, look for an email by the end of next week which will include a form to indicate your choice regarding your camp registration. Options include: you may transfer your registration to next summer, donate your registration to CSM, or have your payment refunded. If you do not receive the email and link with the form by next weekend, please email Wally Ferrara at wally@campsanctamaria.org.

We know these are difficult times and many are facing financial hardships. As the summer sessions are our primary source of income, if you or someone you know is in a position to support us through donations, we would be most grateful!

Please follow us on Facebook and keep an eye on your email as we plan to stay connected and to do some fun things this summer. Thank you for your understanding and support!

Sincerely in Christ,

John David (JD)


COVID-19 Important Update

As of May 14, 2020

Dear Friends and Family of Camp Sancta Maria,
 
There are signs of hope as we see things slowly beginning to reopen and restrictions being lifted. The weather is warming up and it looks like spring is here, at least for a few days! While these are wonderful signs, it is still not clear what lies in store for CSM this summer as we continue to await direction and guidance from the State along with the CDC and American Camping Association. These are challenging times for all, and many are in a state of limbo waiting for the next announcement and further guidelines. We hold out hope that we will be able to offer some sessions this summer for the children, but after much prayer, conversation, and discernment, we have made some difficult decisions which I would like to share with you.

 

Unfortunately, and with great sadness, I have to announce that we are cancelling the girls’ week in June which includes horse and regular camp. Due to the recent extension of the stay-at-home order until the end of May, along with the lack of clarity from the State on whether camps can open and if so with what restrictions, we will be unable to welcome campers as we hoped on June 14 for girls’ horse and regular camp. We are extremely saddened, but our first concern and priority is the health and safety of our campers, and without all the answers we need from the State and CDC at this time we are unable to open on June 14.

 

In addition, we are also sad to announce that we are cancelling all parent and child weekends for 2020. With the certainty of extended social distancing guidelines and the setup of our facilities, we have decided that we are unable to host family weekends this summer and practice proper social distancing while also running our children’s camps.

 

We will have an another update next week based on information we receive from the State and CDC in the coming week.

 

For those who are registered for a family weekend or the girls’ week in June and in which a payment was made, you should have received an email earlier today with a form to indicate your choice regarding your camp registration. Options include: you may transfer your registration to next summer, donate your registration to Camp Sancta Maria, or have your payment refunded. If you did not receive the email and link with the form, please email Wally Ferrara at wally@campsanctamaria.org.
 
Please know of our continued prayers, and we invite you to join us in asking the intercession of the Blessed Mother to continue to watch over and care for our families and friends.

 

Thank you for your continued support of CSM!
 
Sincerely in Christ,
 
John David (JD) Kuhar
Executive Director

COVID-19 Update

As of April 30, 2020

Dear friends and family of Camp Sancta Maria,

Please know of our prayers for you during this time of uncertainty through our Blessed Mother, our beloved camp’s patroness. While it is our hope to hold camp sessions this summer, we are prudently staying in touch with health officials while continuing to make opening preparations.

 

Assuming we open, we will be ready to care for and provide the best practices for the health and safety of our campers, staff, and families. In addition to the many standards we regularly adhere to for the State of Michigan and American Camping Association, we are working with health officials to make sure we have additional  measures in place this summer. We expect to receive additional guidelines from the CDC and American Camping Association in May, which we will incorporate into our protocols.

Registration

We know many may be concerned with registering at this time or wonder what may happen in the event that we are unable to offer sessions this summer. For those who have already paid partially or in full for the summer, if we have to cancel sessions, you will have the following three options from which to choose.

  1. You may transfer the registration and payment toward the summer of 2021 locking in your spot for next year at this year’s price.
  2. Donate all or part of your payment to CSM.
  3. Receive a full refund

For those who have not registered, as we stated in our last eblast, we were able to work with our registration software company and temporarily adjust our sessions fees so there is no deposit or payment required at this time. After registering, as it gets closer to the start of the session, you would be contacted, and at that time, confirm you are still interested and make a payment.

With all of the uncertainty we are facing and the unknown of when restrictions will be fully lifted or how quickly, it is a challenging time for all. We have no more information or knowledge than you do so we continue to place our hope in the risen Lord and ask the intercession of his mother Mary to guide us. Please know of our prayers for you and join us in praying for a safe, healthy, fun summer at CSM!

May God bless you and your family and keep you safe today and always.

John David (JD)


Executive Director

COVID-19 Update

As of April 16, 2020

Dear Camp Sancta Maria family,

I offer Easter blessings and pray that you and your families are doing well. In the midst of these uncertain and challenging times, I pray that you are able to cling to the hope of the resurrection and Christ’s victory over sin and death.

Camp’s top priority has always been to protect the safety and health of our campers, staff and volunteers. We have been closely monitoring all of the updates and recommendations from the CDC and American Camping Association regarding COVID-19. In addition, we have been in contact with officials from the health department in Otsego County. It is our hope that we will be able to begin camp as scheduled, in June. We know, however, that with the recent stay-in-place being extended until the end of April by Governor Whitmer, and the uncertainty of what restrictions will be lifted after that time, the possibility of a delayed start or cancelled early sessions is a possibility. We will not be able to make a clear decision until mid-May when we have more information. Be assured we will update you as soon as things become more clear.

In the meantime, however, those who haven’t already registered may still want to reserve their spot in the event we are able to hold some 2020 sessions.

We also recognize that many of our families are experiencing reduced income due to COVID-related job losses and furloughs. And so we’re working with Active Network, our online registration partner, to temporarily adjust our session fees to make it easier for you to register. This is how it will break down:

  • If you haven’t already registered, you may do so, but you will not have to make a down payment at this time. This reserves your spot and lets us know of your interest.
  • In the event we are able to proceed with any of our 2020 sessions, you will be notified to confirm if you are still interested.
  • Only then, with your confirmation and permission, will we adjust the registration fees back to their normal rates and process your down payment based on the same registration fees as those who have already registered.

If you have any questions, please contact Jan Klemm, Director of Operations and Development, at Jan@CampSanctaMaria.org or 248-822-8199. Please look for another update from us next month.

Until then, I encourage you to follow us on Facebook and Instagram, as a couple of our counselors have been helping us through these times with some fun videos and opportunities for praise and worship. Again, please know of my continued prayers and I look forward to seeing our families this summer.

Sincerely in Christ,
John David (JD) Kuhar
Executive Director

Scroll to Top